Henry Harding (1837-1910) was a railroad engineer from Hartland, Vermont. He worked for multiple eastern railroads during the 1850s, until he was recruited to serve as an assistant engineer for the Union Pacific under the direction of Grenville Mellon Dodge, an old friend and Chief Engineer of the railroad. Harding’s particular focus was the design and construction of structures such as bridges, station houses, round houses, and terminals, which are all depicted in the architectural drawings of this collection. After the completion of the railroad, Harding worked for the United States Engineering Corps from 1873-90, and finally retired to Hartland in 1890. For a more complete account of Harding’s career, see Ellis, W.A., Norwich University, 1819-1911, Her History, Her Graduates, Her Role of Honor. Published by Major-General Grenville M. Dodge, 1911.