Detailed map of the western half of London, published by Thomas Jefferys in 1735.
The map is the western half of Jefferys New and Exact Plan of the City’s of London and Westminster and the Borough of Southwark And the Additional New Buildings Churches &c to the present Year 1735.
Many of the most important buildings in London are located and illustrated, including:
- Lincoln’s Inn
- Covent Garden Market
- Somerset House
- Burlington House
- Soho Square
- Leicester Square
- St. James Square
- Plantation & Admiralty Office
- Scotland Yard
Jeffery's map shows much of the new West End development including:
- Grosvenor Square
- Mount Street
- Cavendish Square.
A nice look at the western half of London during the 1730s.
Thomas Jefferys (ca. 1719-1771) was a prolific map publisher based in London. His father was a cutler, but Jefferys was apprenticed to Emanuel Bowen, a prominent mapmaker and engraver. He was made free of the Merchant Taylors’ Company in 1744. Jefferys was the Geographer to Frederick Price of Wales and, from 1760, to King George III. He is most known today for his maps of North America, and for his central place in the map trade—he not only sold maps commercially, but also imported the latest materials and had ties to several government bodies for whom he produced materials.
Upon his death in 1771, his workshop passed to his partner, William Faden, and his son, Thomas Jr. However, Jefferys had gone bankrupt in 1765 and some of his plates were bought by Robert Sayer (1725-1794). Sayer, who had partnered in the past with Philip Overton (d. 1751), specialized in (re)publishing maps. In 1770 he partnered with John Bennett and many Jefferys maps were republished by the duo.