Sign In

Forgot Password Create Account
Stock# 37866
Description

Fine early map of Queensland, published by Edward Stanford in London, published 2 years after the formal approval of the formation of the Colony of Queensland by Queen Victoria in June 1859.

This is one of the earliest obtainable printed maps of Queensland, published one year after the maps of the surveyor Leopold Landsberg, and certainly one of the most interesting. The map extends north to include the area and Cains and part of the Gulf of Carpentaria, and south to the Stuart Range and the border with New South Wales.

The most noteworthy feature of this map, which was re-issued in 1863, is the location of the two different proposed boundaries between Queensland and New South Wales. One was proposed by the Governor of New South Wales (in Blue) and the other by the Imperial Parliament (Green).

Shows counties, land agents' districts, notes on terrain, hill shading, spot heights. The routes of explorers are shown, including:

  • Sturt, 1854
  • Mitchell 1847
  • Kennedy 1847-1848
  • Leichhardt 1848
  • A.C. Gregory 1858

This is apparently the first of a number of Queensland maps issued by Stanford, which was reissued with different titles over the course of the next decade.

Condition Description
Minor foxing.
Edward Stanford Biography

Edward Stanford (1827-1904) was a prominent British mapmaker and publisher. A native of Holborn in the heart of London, Edward was apprenticed to a printer and stationer at the age of 14. After his first master died, he worked with several others, including Trelawny W. Saunders of Charing Cross. Saunders oversaw young Edward’s early career, ensuring that he became a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society. Associations with the Society eventually brought Sanders much business and gave him a reputation as a publisher of explorers. As testament to this reputation, the Stanford Range in British Columbia was named for him by John Palliser.

Stanford briefly partnered with Saunders in 1852 before striking out on his own in 1853. He was an agent for the Ordnance Survey, the Admiralty, the Geological Survey, the Trigonometrical Survey of India, and the India Office. He also controlled the maps of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, another lucrative source of income. In 1857, Stanford founded his namesake Geographical Establishment, with Saunders and A. K. Johnston as engravers. Thereafter, Stanford was known for his “library maps”, particularly those of Africa and Asia.

Although he had authored many maps, the Harrow Atlas of Modern Geography and a similar volume on classical geography, Stanford is better remembered today as the leader of a successful map business. Ever in search of more inventory, he acquired the plates and stock of John Arrowsmith, heir of the Arrowmsith family firm, in 1874. By 1881 he employed 87 people at his premises at 6 Charing Cross Road, Saunders’ old address. As he aged, he phased in his son Edward Jr. to run the business. He died in 1904. The business survived him, and the Stanford’s shop is still a prominent London landmark today.